A good plumbing seal test depends on the rigour of a series of steps that will be carried out by the professional who will refer them to plumbers or building inspectors.
The inspection of the exhaust pipes must first be visual in order to discover their deterioration. It is one of the skills of the professionals concerned to carry out an in situ survey of cracks, pipes discoloration (which betrays its age), possible deformations, weakened junctions, etc.
- It is only when there is no doubt about the ducts condition during the visual inspection, that the plumbing installation will be tested for smoke.
- The test must be carried out with a health-approved smoke generator, which is easy to move and must be inspected annually.
- Smoke must be odourless and environmentally safe
- The pressure applied must be constant from the beginning to the end of the test, so that it travels through all the exhaust pipes.
The minimum duration of the test may vary depending on the imponderables.
- Electrical sockets: Usually indicate a leak in adjacent pipes behind the wall.
- Lights: Usually indicate a leak in the ceiling pipes.
- Penetrating the wall under the sinks: May indicate a faulty pipe or leakage in an adjacent vertical chimney.
- Urinals: Can detect damaged joints and defective pipes.
Toilet Base – May indicate deteriorated wax rings and defective siphons.
The contractor responsible for testing sewer smoke detects odours from the interior cleaning
A contractor specialising in sewer smoke testing detects foul odours.
During the smoke test, smoke/steam may come from unlikely locations, which may mean a more complex repair.
Visible smoke usually indicates a leak in adjacent sewer lines, such as a fireplace, a bathroom, a kitchen or overhead hose. The test professional will have an idea of where the source of the leak is at first glance from the smoke.
Once the general area of the leak has been identified, the test professional may, in some cases, require further investigation using a small plumbing inspection camera or make an opening in the wall, ceiling, etc.
After a waterproofing test of the exhaust pipes.
The company that implemented the smoke test can indicate on a label:
- The address and date of the test
- The name of his company
- References to the smoke-generating device,
- The pressure exerted during the test and its duration
- The type, diameter, length of the ducts involved
The label will be signed by the technician and will express the test’s findings, including the state of the ducts and the proper conduct of the waterproofing test protocol.
In addition, the data on this label is recorded in a register within one month of the completion of the work.
The smoke test allows us to make the appropriate and necessary work assessment.
Delta, an expert smoke test contractor for sewers.
Delta smoke test in Montreal has 15 years of experience as a certified contractor in the region of Quebec. The company serves the Greater Montreal area.
If you would like to have your sewer evacuation, stormwater disposal or commercial greasy waste disposal system inspected, we will be happy to submit a submission to you as soon as possible.
Request for submission form
Depending on the situation the smoke test will eventually be supplemented with a video inspection, this provides an in-depth diagnosis of the systems:
- Sanitary drainage,
- Drainage of stormwater or
- Commercial greasy waste drainage.